Backup Manager Solution
- Robust cross-platform solution for secure data and system backup
- Efficiency and high speed of backup processes due to data compression & incremental procedures
- High data security achieved by daily automated backup and data encryption
- Accessibility from any place and device
A powerful web solution, which enables a fully automated data and system settings backup process on a variety of platforms.
The Customer is a leading European provider of automated backup software. Its backup solutions are popular across Europe due to substantial product advantages and an effective marketing strategy.
The project was initiated with the Customer requesting to develop a universal backup solution with multiple unique features, which would make it a standard for different spheres of European business. The Customer previously had two more projects with Iflexion, with this one to be the biggest and most complex.
The Backup Manager is a standalone application for different users of backup software market — small business, medium and large business and service providers, including home, professional and corporate users. The variety of its features satisfies multiple Customer’s needs.
If you need to backup open or shared files, Microsoft databases, email lists or accounts at different time periods every day or every hour, the Backup Manager will successfully cope with it. It enables a fully automated backup process on a great number of platforms and prevents errors common for traditional tape-based solutions, eliminating intensive manual interference and thereby reducing TCO.
The solution is cross-platform and can run on all Microsoft Windows .NET platforms, Linux and Unix (RedHat, Suse, Fedora and Debian Linux distributions, MAC OS-X, Sun Solaris and many other Unix platforms).
The first step for Iflexion was to gather all client requirements and create a detailed functional design specification document. When the specification was approved, the stages of design and initial development started. The communication between the Client and the developers on the project was maintained with the help of a Project Manager and an Account Manager from Iflexion side during the whole development process.
To provide a huge number of features and technologies on different platforms and to guarantee good performance in crucial places, C/C++ was chosen as a primary language for Backup Manager application development.
The chosen technologies have proved to be the most appropriate for this project and have provided stable work of the whole system.
Compliant with common European backup standards, the solution is instrumental in secure data and system settings backup, namely:
- File system backup. Backs up file and directory content (including security attributes).
- System state backup. Backs up the snapshot of all important system files and settings with the ability to restore the system state for a specific point in time.
- Microsoft SQL databases backup. Backs up whole Microsoft SQL databases.
- Microsoft Exchange mail databases backup. Backs up Microsoft Exchange mail databases (including accounts, e-mails, contact, appointments, etc.).
- Shared folders backup. Backs up the content of shared folders from other machines available in local network.
- Open files backup. With the use of Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy technology, open files are backed up as any other files.
- Data replication. To guarantee data safe in case of force majéur on server side, backed up data are replicated regularly on other server.
Fast and convenient backup process is achieved by the following implementations:
- Backup over the Internet. Guarantees data safe and access to backed up data from any place.
- Incremental backup. Step-by-step backup technology minimizes Internet traffic usage and optimizes backup speed (unchanged data is not resent).
- Data encryption and compression. Guarantees the safety of confidential data and minimizes backup time.
- Daily backup. Specified data sets can be automatically backed up every day at specified time.
- Backup on shutdown. Specified data sets can be backed up before computer shutdown.
- Automatic auto update process. Client software is updated automatically with latest updates installed as soon as possible.
- Web restore. The feature allows accessing backed up data via web interface and downloading desired files and folders in a single zip archive.
- Restore on Desktop. Windows Explorer integration allows restoring files and folders with a single click in any Windows Explorer window.
The technical architecture of the solution is a realization of a three-tier model. Three layers of the system are the presentation layer designed as a fat client, application server, and persistence (database) layer.
The client and server are connected via a TCP/IP protocol over the local network or the Internet. This makes the software very flexible with a large amount of different configurations. Application server runs on UNIX platform (usually located in a data center) and uses both MySQL database and local file system as storage for backup data. One application server can serve up to 1000 client machines. The client is installed on the end-user machine (Windows, MAC OS, UNIX or Linux). The GUI on multiple platforms is covered with Trolltech Qt library that provides native system GUI.
The Backup Manager is part of the backup and recovery client software family based on the Customer’s advanced Backup over IP technology. Together with the Online Exchange Backup Service and Backup Appliance, also developed by Iflexion, it helps achieve the ultimate Customer’s goal — to save end user’s money and increase their data security.
In order to optimize updates delivery practices of a world’s giant of the gaming industry, Iflexion delivered a turnkey plug-in integrated smoothly into their corporate IT infrastructure and automating the entire release management cycle.